PCP Vol.2, No. 1A: Crazy Ex, Crybaby & Cats


Hello all,
Welcome to the second incarnation of Pop Culture Picnic! As long-term readers of this blog may remember, I started the original PCP (sorry about that) back in January 2016 as a way of taking note of all the things I was watching. However, after mid-March, where I'd completed 11 editions, I found the pressure to write about literally everything I was watching to be too much and finished it up.
   In the years since, I have considered starting up this column many times, but my viewing habits and the way I think about watching and reviewing television and film has changed significantly. However, I was also keen to let my readers know what I was enjoying, what could be better and what you should steer clear of, especially in regards to my annual TV awards. I really do love writing them, but recently I've been feeling guilty that it's easy to pick the best without writing about the rest, hence this column.
   I'll usually split it into two parts for readability. The first part will be a round-up of all the shows, anime, movies and books which I think were noteworthy enough to get a mention. I've included the premier dates of all of these items just to let you know what is eligible for my end of year awards. So, anything with a premier date of Jan 2018 or later is eligible. If it aired in December 2017, for example, it will not be.
   Generally, if a series has just finished I'll do a longer review with a headline, rating and image. However, if a series I'm watching weekly does a notable episode, you can find about that in the Week-By-Week section. Because I've been super lazy, this week's entry is a bit all over the place, with any series I've watched since January eligible for a review and thoughts.
   Also, note the sidebar which features all the series I am currently watching. Watching Live refers to the series' I am watching on a week-by-week, whenever they come out basis, Catching Up refers to the bingewatches or the series I've fallen behind on and am now trying to finish and Re-Watching refers to whatever I'm doing again (usually with my partner Finn). Also, you can click the Viewing List for a complete, up-to-date list of all I've seen.
   Meanwhile, part 2 will be a more themed, focused section. So, for example, this week I've reviewed all of the Jean Moreau films that were a part of the Cinematheque season. The Melbourne Cinematheque (and my membership with it) will lead many of these themes, but I also am going to be doing a series of reviews on Italian Neo-Realism and potentially an analysis of the early seasons of Steven Universe. Whatever I get around to basically! It's an exciting journey, and I look forward to sharing my TV, film and other thoughts!
TV Series (new)

The Good Place season 2, part 2 (premiered Jan 2018):
The Good Place cemented its place as one of TV's best and most thoughtful comedies by demonstrating a brave willingness to blow up its premise and structure over and over again. The show manages to juggle so many different ideas (philosophy lecture, clever mythologising, intricate character study, goofy comedy), nailing every single one, and it's genius, jaw-dropping finale sets up an irresistible hook for what looks to be an excellent third season. Count me in. Season rating: A


Crazy Ex-Girlfriend season 3, part 2 (premiered Jan 2018):
After such a strong, climactic start to the third season, a somewhat muted return was to be expected, but it remains disappointing. The series ran into some pacing issues, and for a while I was worried about the show's future. However, even at its lowest point, there was always a moment between characters, a funny song or poignant callback that makes this one of TV's best and most underrated shows. This was in keen effect by the last few episodes, which returned it to the quality we've come to expect, with a direction that has me desperately praying for a fourth season. I've said it before and I'll say it again: Watch. This. Show. Season rating: A-


Hot Streets (premiered  Jan 2018)
This Adult Swim comedy never really gets off the ground, unable to reach the random absurdist heights of Sealab 2021 or the horrific ultraviolence of Superjail! or Mr. Pickles. The stand-out character is (basically by default) the mumbling dog weirdo Chubby Webbers (voiced by Rick and Morty's Justin Roiland), but the characters never have the chemistry and the plots don't have that craziness to take this above being too banal to make an impact. Season rating: C

Week-By-Week
Slutever episode 2: Karley Sciortino's excellent Viceland series looking at different aspects of human sexuality is one of the best new shows of the year so far. In it's best episode yet, Karley takes on BDSM live-in slave relationships in an episode that manages to be an informative, a little disturbing but ultimately beautiful examination of this underexamined area of the sexuality spectrum.
Drunk History s5e5: This frequently funny, often informative and always entertaining continues a strong fifth season. The segment on the Disability 504 Sit-Ins featuring a cast of people with a disability is the kind of care that makes me keep returning to the show.
RuPaul's Drag Race All-Stars s3e5: a disappointing season of Drag Race continues it's downward trend, hitting it's nadir with the extremely boring Warhol Ball, a challenge that never really gets off the ground or provide the queens any kind of opportunity to show what they're capable of.


TV Series (classic)


Grace and Frankie season 2 (premiered May 2016)
An improvement on the first season in every way imaginable; funnier, sadder and more charming (the titular duo are right up there with The Mary Tyler Moore Show's Mary and Rhoda as my fave TV gal pals). Jane Fonda and Lily Tomlin have chemistry for days, and in this season it's clear they actually like one another, with both actresses able to nail the emotional complexity the show requires. The dark turn toward the end of the season is devastating, but the resultant joy in the final moments provided one of the biggest emotional highs I've had watching TV this year. While there are still problems (Martin Sheen and Sam Waterston just don't have the chemistry, the kids except Breanna are marooned in their own dull subplots), this has gone right up my list of top-notch Netflix shows. Season rating: A-

The Magicians season 2 (premiered Jan 2017)
This Syfy series about stupid teens growing up through using magic (basically a more disjointed, sexed up, adult Harry Potter) continues to be a strange experience. Occasionally, it's exhilarating and thrilling with characters you can really get invested in and love, but more often than not, it's jumpy and trying to do too many things at once. This season had at least three main villains, and never really tied everything together to make for a satisfying experience (and one that took me ages to get through). Still, there are moments of magic (sorry); Julia's character journey, a deliriously entertaining rendition of Les Miserables' 'One Day More', the recap at the start of the final episode and Alice and Quentin's messed up relationship. Also, the season ended on a huge cliffhanger which should provide some narrative coherence moving forward (an idea expanded on by the intriguing season three trailer). Season rating: B-

Short Thoughts:
The Simpsons season 10: a disappointing season that nevertheless has some funny moments, including this which even thinking about makes me giggle in public. Season rating: C+


Anime

Devilman Crybaby (premiered Jan 2018)
Thrilling, disturbing, kinetic, devastating and ultimately deeply profound. Masaaki Yuasa's newest work (The Tatami Galaxy, Ping Pong) is a goddamn masterwork with at least one memorable image per episode. Even though it drags slightly in the middle, it recovers with a sob-inducing ninth episode and an epic, gorgeous final episode. It's been a while since something I watched gripped me so completely, with every element (story, music, animation, voice acting) absolutely on point to create something truly unforgettable. A spectacular early front-runner for best anime of the year. Series rating: A

Mob Psycho 100 (premiered July 2016)
Featuring a dynamic visual style and a great cast of characters, Mob Psycho 100 is a thrilling, addictive and entertaining anime. While the power battles are fun, it's the character development and dynamics that make this worth the watch, especially in regards to its work on Mob's character. Using his psychic powers as a metaphor for social anxiety allows the show to hit on some wonderfully relatable and empathetic moments, leading to a deeply satisfying finale that manages to iron out some thematic issues, all while making me desperate for a second season. Not to be missed. Series rating: A

Week-By-Week
Pop Team Epic episode 6: This anime is strange, infuriating and occasionally very, very funny. It's the equivalent of shit-posting and is often very hit or miss. But when it hits? Jesus, tears. Best bits so far: Marilyn Monroe (maybe the funniest thing I've seen this decade). Australia. The Alien. Blanket. And something else... Oh sorry, I was thinking about Hellshake Yano.



What have you been watching? Let me know in the comments :D

Regards,
David Gumball-Watson

Comments