Artist Of The Week: A-Ha

Hi all!
Again this week, muscially, has seen me continuing my quest to finish all the songs in my library. Currently, I'm still on the A's, but this week, one artist has popped up more than any of the others. So, let's go back to the 80s and revisit A-ha!
  I didn't know this until I just googled them, but they are actually Norwegian, which is brillaint, as it's one of my favourite countries (they produce great music, judging by their Eurovision outlay), and were active mainly during the 80s. Probably their most famous song, certainly the only one I had heard before I listened to the rest of their discogrophy, was Take On Me. An immensely catchy song (that is easy to sing along to when your parents have gone out. No, I have never done that...) with a brillaint animated music video (one of the best ever produced), it's not hard to see why it became a worldwide smash hit.
   However, the purpose of this post is to demonstrate how some of the rest of their output is just as awesome. The Sun Always Shines On TV was another of the trio's big hits with some great music and some brillaint lyrics. Touchy! is another of my favourite tracks from the band. It's (almost annoyingly) catchy lyrics make it impossible to dislike this song. 
   There are of course many other great songs that the band has produced (such as I Wish I Cared and Butterfly, Butterfly) and the vast majority of them are truly great, but this is a short blogpost. However, I do warn you their songs are addictive in the extreme and very, very 80s. Musically, it's one of my favourite decades, and A-ha are one of the reasons for this.
   However, my favourite track from the band was recorded in 1993 and is called Angel In The Snow, it's an immensely sad, yet so beautiful, and I think it would be perfect for scoring a lovely romantic scene. I just love it.
Thanks,
James

Comments

  1. So THESE are the guys who sing Take On Me... I remember hearing a couple of lines from that song in the song Four Chords by Axis of Awesome.

    I think it's really cool how some really great bands come out of places like Norway and no one has a clue because they sing in English. These guys have a great voice, though 80s isn't really my decade (I don't think I HAVE a decade...).

    Angel in the Snow is really sad, I have decided now that I am listening to it :(

    Great post, James!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I find it comforting to know that not all of the famous bands we know and love are from America or the UK, and that some of the European bands are just as well known.

      Oddly enough, Angel In The Snow was actually written as a marriage proposal song, so it's odd that it's really quite sad, but then from what I can gather it was a difficult time in the band's history.

      Anyway, great to get the feedback that you enjoyed the post. It's wonderful :D

      Thanks,
      James

      Delete

Post a Comment